How to Treat Yourself: Recipes for Indulging
It seems as if over the years we have been told to indulge less and less when it comes to our food and ourselves. While this has led to more interest in wellness and healthy living, the warnings against indulgence haven’t been 100% good for us either. We have forgotten how to treat ourselves and have instead learned how to be hypercritical.
But the key to wellness is moderation and what sometimes seems unhealthy can be great for your body and soul! Think a Friday night in with great food, your perfect self-care rituals, and that comforting Netflix binge.
Below are a few recipes, perfect for your hankerings and pamperings, to get you started!
Caprese Panini with Balsamic Syrup
- Your favorite panini bread, such as focaccia, ciabatta, or a whole wheat baguette
- 12 large basil leaves
- 5 oz thinly sliced fresh mozzarella
- 2 sliced medium tomatoes
- ½ c balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Boil balsamic vinegar in a saucepan until it reduces to about 3 tablespoons
- Oil your bread and assemble your sandwich with mozzarella, tomatoes, and basil to your liking
- You can either add a small drizzle of balsamic syrup to your sandwich now or you save the sauce for dipping!
- Preheat a cast iron skillet or griddle and coat with a thin layer of oil (we recommend coconut oil for it’s healthy properties and high smoke point)
- Grill sandwich by placing another heavy pan on top. Cook each side for about 3 minutes
- Cut and enjoy!
Mac + Cheese
- 4 oz whole wheat macaroni
- ¼ c panko
- ½ c onion-garlic puree
- ½ tsp dry mustard
- 1 c shredded 50% reduced fat cheddar
- ¼ c grated parmesan
- ⅓ c nonfat Greek yogurt
- Pinch of cayenne
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 °F and grease the baking sheet with coconut oil
- Prepare your macaroni
- As you’re cooking the pasta, simmer the puree, mustard, and cayenne in a small saucepan, constantly stirring
- Add the cheddar to your saucepan. Once the cheese is fully melted, remove the pan from heat and stir in the Greek yogurt
- Add salt and pepper
- Combine the cheese sauce and pasta in your baking sheet
- Sprinkle the parmesan overtop and bake for about 10-13 minutes
Honey and Oatmeal Face Mask
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- 2 tbsp ground oats (great for exfoliating)
- Combine the honey and oatmeal in a small to medium sized bowl
- Apply to face and let sit for 15 to 20 minutes
- Rinse your face with warm water and pat dry with a washcloth
Brown Sugar Foot Scrub
- ½ c brown sugar
- ¼ c jojoba oil
- A few drops of any essential oil of your choosing, such as eucalyptus or rose (optional)
- Combine brown sugar, jojoba oil, and essential oil in a small to medium sized bowl
- Make sure to fully incorporate the essential oil
- Apply small scoops to wet feet and rub in small circles
- Rinse your feet with warm water
- You can save the scrub in any jar with a tight seal for about 6 months
What are your go-to indulgent recipes? Let us know in the comments below!
Leave a comment
Also in Blog
Whether you want to get cozy on a chilly fall day or host this year's halloween party, these fall drinks are sure to get everyone in a festive mood.
Recently, sustainable living has been a very important topic of discussion. It is up to us to take care of our planet, because everything we do affects the world we live in. Not only sustainable living better for the environment, but it improves your overall quality of life. We have come up with our top 10 products that you need if you want truly make a difference! Read More
Taylor is our lovely and talented designer here at Kala. She matches her talent with true commitment to making women feel confident and comfortable in our products. Whether is picking out the perfect eco-friendly fabric, or making sure our bras fit just right, Taylor is there every step of the way.